Market: Railway – Mass public transport
Solution: High capacity, high voltage traction battery on trains to serve Railway and Infrastructure OEMs
Product: U27-36XP Valence U-Charge® Lithium Iron Magnesium Phosphate intelligent battery modules assembled into a fully integrated system
Features & Benefits:
- High cycle life
- Low total cost of ownership
- No ventilation required
- Reliable Electronics and Firmware
- Safe Lithium Ion Chemistry
- Rugged mechanical design
- Flame retardant plastics and electronics
- LED battery status indicator
- Scalable in series from 12V to 1000V
- Scalable in parallel for additional run time
- U-Charge Modules report to Battery Management System (BMS) module
- Automatic system balancing and monitoring
- Compatible with standard chargers
- Communication of monitored data via CAN through BMS
Module Technical Specifications:
Nominal Voltage: 38.4 V Nominal Capacity (C/5, 23°C): 46 Ah, 1.77 kWh
Weight (approx.): 19.6 kg/43 lbs.
Dimension incl. Terminals (LxWxH): 306 mm x 172 mm x 225 mm
Within the UK Railway Network, there are branch lines that are not connected to each other by catenary lines. To effectively bridge the non-electrified section of otherwise electrified routes, a leading manufacturer in the railway market has developed an Independently Powered Electrical Multiple Unit (IPEMU). This train uses a small, lightweight, yet robust set of Valence batteries to power the train between branches, thus saving from the huge expense of adding overhead electrical lines.
Read more about this battery-powered train project on Bombardier’s project page.